Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Amature Farm

Click here for worm farming secrets ofWorm composting
worm farming make a green and responsible living
Coral farming! Grow and collect your own coral


When I was 5 years old, my family made its first cross country move from Juneau, AK to Grants Pass, OR. For a while we lived in my Grandparent's basement as many of the family members have done throughout the years to get on their feet. When we finally moved into a mobile, my dad had it made. With a whole 1/2 acre, he and my mom set out to turn the place into a farm. I've mentioned in my first two articles that we had a plethora of animals, ducks, chickens, turkeys, goats, a pony, a horse, a dog, a cat, a cow, a pig, and a dove, lol.

My dad also made a double decker tree fort complete with rope swing, which, depending on the season would swing out over soft mint, or spikey blackberry vines. We had a lot of fun on that thing. I one time got my thrill out of the way by rappelling off the first story tree fort with the rope swing... ah, nothing like rope burned hands.... eh, not really.

It was on this piece of property that my dad started gardening. One of our many gardens mysteriously had gigantic produce, would grow just about anything, and we thought we were really good... until our neighbor came over and inquired as to why we had planted a garden on our leech field. Sigh, that was a special day, but it all still tasted good, lol. Up on another hill however, far away from the broken down feces of humanoids, me and my dad would grow potatoes. That was really fun. He made a seed planter out of an aluminum pipe sharpened at one end and a tin lid electrical taped to the other end and what you would do is make your hole with the sharp end, take it out to let the dirt out of the pipe, put it back in the hole and thumb your seeds sitting in the lid down the pipe. It was pretty cool, and once--the potatoes--had grown, then came the fun part! Digging them up like treasure. The cool thing about potatoes is that they branch out underground, and you get to look everywhere for them, and it's a joy when you find one, especially a big one!

Childhood on an amateur farm, was pretty good fun with all the animals, gardening, and a pretty cool piece of property. It taught at least some responsibilities as well like: feeding and watering the animals, planting things, and how to use a pole digger, lol.


Poultry Farming
Ever considered shrimp farming?
Discover the secrets of... FARM TOWN! the hottest app on facebook, myspace, yahoo, and iphone!

No comments:

Post a Comment